Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Day 2 -- A History Lover's Paradise

Today was our second day in London, and the first day that we actually had a full night of sleep. We are staying at the St. Simone and they have an awesome breakfast. A staff member, Alexander, loves to ask me weird history question because he found out I was history major. Today he tried to convince me George Washington started the French and Indian war.

After a good English breakfast, we went on the London eye. The London is a Ferris wheel on steroids. You ride in an enclosed glass pod and goes nearly 450 feet in the air. The view is spectacular we could see almost all the major attractions of London. Following the London Eye, we hopped on the Big Bus tour bus and discovered more of London. We saw the London Bridge and the Tower Bridge. The iconic Tower Bridge is often confused with the London Bridge. The London Bridge is just a plain boring bridge.



We hopped off the bus at the Tower of London. The Tower itself holds the Crown Jewels and is supposedly haunted by Anne Boleyn, one of the Henry VIII’s wives. Anne was beheaded at the Tower Green in 1536. A second wife was beheaded in 1542. After soaking in the history of the Tower, we went to Piccadilly Circus. Piccadilly is considered London’s Time Square and is bustling with people. During our time there, we bought theater tickets.

The highlight of the day was the evensong service at Westminster Abbey. I loved Westminster. I felt that the walls were just oozing history. The service was very traditional and I spent my time imagining how the Abbey looked for the royal wedding of Will and Kate in 2010. It just blows my mind that I sat where the Royal Family sat during the wedding. It made me feel like I was a part of history. We also saw the Coronation Chair which has been used in almost every coronation since 1300. Let’s say today’s attraction fulfilled my historian dreams. I’m looking forward to our free day tomorrow in London and exploring the British Museum.

Stay classy my friends and peace out from London.

Marissa